As some of you may know, I hate all kinds of seafood. So when I refuse to eat prepared fish, what are the chances that I'll actually enjoy RAW fish? Pretty slim, I tell you.
Still, I have a rule that I should try anything at least ONCE, no matter how much I think I'll dislike it. After all, you never know. So, some years ago I tried sushi. And absolutely HATED it. Apparently my face when eating it said more than a thousand words.
Then, a friend talked me into trying it again. Because, apparently, it is SO much better when you make it at home. (I can tell you, she was WRONG, it tastes every bit as bad when made at home, trust me!)
But the thing is, my boyfriend is crazy about everything Japanese and he loves sushi. As does his family. So I figured it would be great if I could learn to like it, too. And Marius has been telling me tales about sushi without fish, where you have cucumber and avocado and other vegetables (or even meat that is not RAW!) in it. So I thought that was the way to go.
Luckily (or perhaps unluckily) for me, I have my very own personal sushi chef in Marius. So a while back we set out to make sushi (or rather maki, for those of you who know the difference) with cucumber and avocado (and salmon for Marius).
I'm sorry to say that while it was a lot of fun MAKING the sushi, eating it was a whole different story. I think it was the green stuff surrounding it that destroyed it for me. I tried every variant, with soy, without soy, with the green strong paste thingy and without. I just had to give up in the end. :( So, despite my best efforts I still don't like sushi. But I had a good time! :)
2 comments:
ME EITHER!!! At least you gave it one last shot. I won't even do that. ;)
Very funny entry as I could see you right before me, trying again and again and making a "yuck" face every time :-) LOL!!!
So sorry that you still don't like it. I too think that it may be that stuff they put around the rolls. - maybe you should try a type without that stuff?
I LOVE LOVE LOVE sushi and could eat it every day ... so Marius better makes me some next time ;-)
Post a Comment